Pumpkin Cross Stitch Table Runner Tutorial

I decided to make a table runner for Halloween using my black pumpkin cross stitch pattern (available in my Etsy Store :). I made some quilt blocks out of coordinating fabrics to form the runner. I made a nine patch quilt block out of 2" blocks and a strip quilt block out of 1 1/2" strips. I trimmed them to the same size then cut the cross stitch design to the same size.

Cut three other pieces of Halloween theme fabrics to go with the quilt blocks and the design.


Sew them together using a 1/4" seam placing the design second from the left. Press the seams to one side and press from the front so the fabrics relaxed without puckers and folds.



Cut two long pieces for the top and bottom measuring 2" wide and the same length as the main piece. Sew them on with a 1/4" seam.


Cut another two pieces for the top and bottom 2 1/2" wide and the same length and sew them on using a 1/4" seam. Cut two pieces the 2 1/2" wide and the same length for each side and sew on using a 1/4" seam. It is good to press after sewing each seam to set the stitches and so the piece lays flat and the fabrics are relaxed.



Next cut a piece of batting to fit the front and pin in several places to secure. I used a variegated thread in coordinating colors for the front quilting and a decorative machine stitch. I sewed from the front at each seam for each block - you can see the black stitching from the back.



Close up of the decorative stitching for the quilting on the front. Lightly press from the front.



Cut a backing piece to match the quilted front. Right sides together sew the pieces together using a 3/8" seam and leave an opening for turning along the bottom. Trim seam and corners when finished to remove bulk.



Turn the runner inside out and press lightly lining up the edges. Line up the fabrics where the opening is and pin to secure. Top stitch around the edge. Press again.



It is finished! I hope you like this tutorial, I like to think of new ways to finish needlework and share them with you. I'd love to read any comments you may have.








Comments

I love the black Pumpkins pattern. Thanks for the how-to finish.

Popular posts from this blog

Letters from Nora Progress and Green Nine Patch Block

Swan Heart Hand Embroidery Pattern

Quilted Potholders Watercolor Art Fabric