Spring Daffodil Embroidery Bookmark Tutorial


I was browsing through a gardening catalog and saw beautiful gardens of daffodil flowers in full bloom was very inspired for spring. I decided to make a daffodil embroidery pattern and try to make a tutorial. Above is the pattern for you to print and trace using your favorite method.


I like to use a light box and Pigma Micron pen that leaves a very nice light black mark that is covered easily with the threads.

The pattern can be stitched using back stitch or stem stitch. I like the stem stitch because I like the pattern it makes and it covers the traced line completely. For the stem stitch work from left to right and position thread below the needle as you stitch. Pull the stitch snug before starting a new stitch. Bring your needle up along the line you are stitching. Insert your needle down along the line 1/8" or so from the previous stitch, come up in the middle of the previous stitch. Make sure the excess threads us below and to the left of the needle. Go down again 1/8" or so from that stitch, come back up at the end of the last stitch and so on.


The only other stitch used is the lazy daisy for the center of the flower. To make a lazy daisy stitch bring your needle up through the fabric and down again right near where you came up. Pull your thread until you have the size of loop you want. Bring your thread up at the top of the loop on the inside. Pull the thread up all the way and go down on the other side of the loop making a small tack stitch to secure in place.

I picked out a few scrap pieces of fabric out of my scrap box collection. To make the bookmark trim the embroidery piece to 2 1/2" x 6 1/2". Cut two pieces for the top and bottom measuring 1" x 2 1/2" and sew those on using a 1/4" seam. Press seams.

Cut two pieces of fabric for each long side that measure 7 1/2" x 3/4" -or thereabouts - sometimes mine don't match up perfectly, but I tell myself that is okay... sew those on and press.


Cut a piece of fabric for the back the same size as the front and pick some pretty ribbon or cotton Cluny lace - great stuff - for the top decoration. Pin the pieces together with the ribbon/lace on top. I think the shabby look is fun sometimes so I decided to leave my seams exposed and use one of the decorative stitches on my machine and some variegated sewing thread to finish it. If you like the other way better press the edges under and stitch around. Or you can make it into something else entirely, have fun and I would love to see your finished project!



I think I will use mine in the book I am reading now, "Atonement" by Ian McEwen. Have you read it?



Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoy!













Comments

Tammy said…
That is so pretty--great tutorial as well!
Priscilla said…
Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for this tutorial! I love to cross stitch, I am a newbie stitcher though and have been wanting to make my stitching into pillows. Using a fabric and the cross stitch in the centre, just how you have made the cross stitch front panel!!! I have been looking for an easy to do project for my work, I have really learned something in your post, thank you xx
Solstitches said…
This is just so pretty!
I will really enjoying stitching up one of your lovely designs.
Thank you so much.
Margaret

Popular posts from this blog

Letters from Nora Progress and Green Nine Patch Block

Swan Heart Hand Embroidery Pattern

Quilted Potholders Watercolor Art Fabric